One-fifth of Black Friday shoppers bought home decor
Susan Dickenson -- Home Accents Today, 11/26/2012 4:28:46 PM
Of the record 247 million shoppers who visited stores and websites over the 2012 Black Friday weekend, 20.6% ofadults (age 18 and older) bought home décor or home furnishings.
The total number of Black Friday shoppers (including individual consumers who shopped on multiple days) was up 9%, and the total amount of spending increased 13% over last year's numbers, according to a survey conducted by BIGinsight for the National Retail Federation.The average holiday shopper spent $423, up from $398 last year, with 40.7% of that amount spent online.
Of all those who shopped online on Black Friday weekend, 28.7% bought home décor or home furnishings according to the survey.
Among all 247 million shoppers, the home category was most popular with the 18-34 age group, where 23.2% of respondents said they bought home décor or home furnishings. Within the 18-34 age group, 35.3% said they looked for information on Black Friday sales and promotions by searching online, and 30.7% looked on Facebook.
Averaged across all age categories, advertising circulars were shoppers' most popular source for Black Friday sales information and promotions (49.8%). Emails from retailers were a popular source among 35.5%, television among 22.7%, online searching among 30.3%, and Facebook among 16.3% of all shoppers. Pinterest was a source of Black Friday information for only 2% and Twitter for 3.7% of all shoppers.
Thanksgiving Thursday saw more than 35 million Americans shopping in stores and online, up from 29 million last year. A record number also shopped online and in stores on Black Friday -- 89 million, compared to 86 million last year.
NRF predicts holiday sales will grow 4.1% this year to $586.1 billion.
The Black Friday Weekend survey, conducted Nov. 23-24 by BIGinsight for NRF, polled 4,005 consumers and has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.6%.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...