SFC releases 5th annual Green Home Furnishings Study
Home Accents Today Staff -- Home Accents Today, 9/3/2013 9:33:29 AM
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Consumers are becoming more environmentally conscious in their purchases, and they're willing to pay more in order to own the greener product, according to the Sustainable Furnishings Council's fifth annual consumer research study. The report also shows that retailers and manufacturers need to educate consumers about sustainable home furnishings, if they want to earn consumers' dollars.
"The need for greater awareness about the importance of ‘living green' is among the top takeaways from this year's study," said SFC Executive Director Susan Inglis. "Our report shows the consumer is more aware about sustainability, especially as it pertains to energy savings and reclaimed materials, but the need for home furnishings retailers and manufacturers to do more is clear-cut."
Forty-nine percent of this year's respondents said they were "definitely interested" or "very interested" in buying green home furnishings, if the style and cost was about the same as other options. Forty-six percent of respondents cited "lack of awareness" as the reason why they have not purchased green home furnishings. More than half (54.3 %) said they plan to spend the same or more on home furnishings in 2014.
The study, conducted in the spring of 2013, surveyed 460 consumers. Of that group, 72.5% were age 25 to 54, and 62.3% reported an annual household income of $50,000 to $150,000.
More information on the SFC and the 2013 Green Home Furnishings Study, which was underwritten by Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams and conducted by Impact Consulting Group, is available at www.SustainableFurnishings.org.
We would love your feedback!
No related articles for this topic.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...