Surya employees run ‘Miles for Meals' to feed children in rural India
Home Accents Today Staff -- Home Accents Today, 10/9/2013 2:34:06 PM
On Oct. 6, 24 Surya employees ran in the Allstate Atlanta 13.1 Half Marathon to raise funds for Akshaya Patra, one of the world's largest NGO-run school lunch programs.
The Calhoun, Ga.-based rug and home accessory manufacturer has raised more than $38,000 this year through its Miles for Meals initiative for Akshaya Patra, which serves a freshly prepared, nutritious lunch each day to more than 1.3 million children throughout rural India. The program not only helps to reduce hunger and malnutrition, but also provides an incentive for children to attend school.
In 2012, Satya Tiwari, Surya's president, who himself grew up in a small village in Northeastern India, saw the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of impoverished children and their families and donated $250,000 on behalf of Surya to Akshaya Patra. As a result, thousands of children living in rural Indian villages were given access to healthy meals for an entire year.
The Miles for Meals program was launched soon thereafter to help raise additional funds for the organization via participation in a half marathon event. In 2012, 15 Surya employees participated in the inaugural Miles for Meals run, raising $29,000 to feed more than 1,900 children for the coming year. Backed by the generous support of friends, family, customers and the local community, Surya employees once again ran, exceeding the program's 2013 fundraising goal of $35,000 by more than $3,000 to date, providing more than 2,500 children with lunchtime meals during the next year.
"Hunger should never be a barrier to education," said Tiwari. "I extend my heartfelt thanks to each and every person who has contributed their time and money to benefit this important cause. Together, we are able to positively impact the lives of thousands of children and the communities in which they live, one meal at a time."
In response to the strong outpouring of support for Miles for Meals, Surya increased this year's fundraising goal to $40,000 and will continue to accept donations through the end of October. It costs just $15 to feed a child for the entire school year. To learn more about the work of Akshaya Patra and the Miles for Meals program, visit http://www.razoo.com/story/Surya2013.
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...